Amid Doklam standoff, India-China trade war looms: Chinese media

The article said that China ‘could easily retaliate’ with restrictions on Indian products

A trade war seems to be looming between India and China after New Delhi imposed anti-dumping duties on 93 Chinese products amidst a military standoff in Doklam area, two state media reports here said on.

An article in The Global Times, part of the ruling Communist Party’s publication group, urged Chinese firms to “reconsider the risks” of investing in India and warned New Delhi to be “prepared for the possible consequences for its ill-considered action.”

The article said that China “could easily retaliate” with restrictions on Indian products, but added that it “doesn’t make much economic sense” for the country.

Also Read :

It cited figures from the Indian embassy in China to show that Indian exports fell by 12.3 per cent year-on-year to $11.75 billion while India’s imports from China rose by 2 per cent to $59 billion, resulting in a trade deficit of $47 billion.

According to the Indian Commerce Ministry, the trade deficit with China last year mounted to over $52 billion when the bilateral trade stood at $70 billion.

“A trade war between China and India seems to be looming after the latter moved last Wednesday to impose anti-dumping duties on 93 products from China,” the report said.

“If India really starts a trade war with China, of course China’s economic interests will be hurt, but there will also be consequences for India,” it said.

The report on trade comes as India and China have been locked in a tense military standoff in Doklam in the Sikkim sector. Read more

Advertisements

Qatar offers visa-free entry to India, 79 other nations amid Gulf crisis

Energy-rich Qatar’s economy took a hit since Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Bahrain moved to isolate it

Qatar announced on Wednesday it was scrapping visa requirements for visitors from 80 countries as it weathers a boycott by four Arab states and gears up to host the World Cup in 2022.

Under the new policy announced by Qatar Airways and authorities, citizens of 33 mostly European countries can enter without a visa for 90 days in single or multiple trips during a 180-day period.

Americans, Britons, Canadians and citizens of 44 other countries can enter visa-free for an initial 30 days on single or multiple trips, and can extend that for a further 30 days.

Energy-rich Qatar’s economy has taken a hit since Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain moved to isolate it two months ago over allegations it supports extremists.

Also Read : Current Affairs on News

The quartet of Arab nations is particularly irked by Qatar’s ties with Iran and its support of Islamist opposition groups. Qatar denies it backs terror groups and says the allegations against Doha are politically motivated.

The four countries cut diplomatic and transport links with Qatar in June, and barred Qatar from using their airspace and shipping lanes.

In a related development, the UAE and Bahrain today sought to clarify a statement made the day before by the International Civil Aviation Organization, which said both countries had agreed to open up some of their airspace, including new “temporary or contingency” routes, for Qatar Airways.

The two, in statements carried on the UAE’s and Bahrain’s state-run news agencies, said that they had not agreed to open up their airspace in full to Qatari flights but to only allow Qatari aircraft to use their airspace located above international waters.

Meet the Indian teen who has developed world’s smallest satellite for Nasa

KalamSat, developed by Tamil Nadu’s Rifath Sharook, will be launched by Nasa rocket on June 21

When the US’ National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) launches the world’s smallest satellite KalamSat on June 21, it will be the first time ever that it would be piloting an experiment by an Indian student. Developed by Rifath Sharook, an 18-year-old boy, from Tamil Nadu’s Pallapatti town, KalamSat weighs only 64 grammes.

‘KalamSat’, named after India’s nuclear scientist and former President, APJ Abdul Kalam, will be launched from a Nasa facility in Wallops Island. Sharook’s project, the first to be manufactured via 3D printing, got selected through a competition, ‘Cubes in Space’, sponsored jointly by NASA and ‘I Doodle Learning’. The project aims to take the performance of new technology to space.

Key features of the miniature satellite

Sharook said it would be a sub-orbital flight and after launch the mission span would be 240 minutes. The tiny satellite would operate for 12 minutes in a micro-gravity environment of space. “The main role of the satellite will be to demonstrate the performance of 3D-printed carbon fibre”, the Times of India quoted Sharook as saying. Read more

P V Sindhu to face Saina Nehwal in India Open quarterfinals

This will be 2nd time that they will compete at international level after 2014 Syed Modi Grand Prix

Rio Olympics silver-medallist PV Sindhu and ace badminton shuttler Saina Nehwal are all set to face each other in the quarter-final clash of the India Open World Super Series here at the Siri Fort Sports Complex later on Friday.

Sindhu booked her place in the last eight of the tournament after brushing aside Saena Kawakami of Japan 21-16, 23-21 in a thrilling second round clash that lasted 40 minutes.

Sixth-seed Saina, on the other hand, took just half an hour to outplay 19-year-old Pompawee Chochuwong of Thailand 21-14, 21-11 to storm into the quarter-finals.

This will be the second time that Saina and Sindhu would face each other at the international level. The duo last met during the final of the 2014 Syed Modi Grand Prix, where the London Olympics bronze-medallist prevailed in straight games.

In the men’s singles event, Sameer Verma continued his good run of form as he registered a comfortable 21-17, 21-15 win over Yu Hu of Hong Kong to reach quarter-finals.

Also Read : Saina, Sindhu & Sameer reach quarterfinals at India Open

1 terrorist killed in Lucknow encounter: Know about ISIS terrorism in India

The IG ATS Aseem Arun confirmed that the slain terror suspect was an active member of the ISIS

A suspected terrorist believed to be part of a group that was planning a major terror attack in Uttar Pradesh was killed early Wednesday morning after nearly 12 hours of anti-terror operation in Lucknow. According to police sources, the target of the operation was a house in Haji Ali Colony in Thakurganj, on the outskirts of Lucknow. The standoff began early Tuesday evening, hours after at least ten people were injured in a blast on the Ujjain Express.

Previously there were reports of two terrorists being holed up in the room, however, as it turned out, only one suspect was found dead along with weapons.

“After opening the doors of the house (where the terrorist was holed up), the force went inside and found the suspect dead along with weapons,” Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Daljit Chaudhary said.

Chaudhary said that the operation “stands closed now. Rest of the legal formalities will subsequently take place.”

The IG ATS Aseem Arun confirmed that the slain terror suspect was an active member of the ISIS.

“The slain terror suspect belongs to the Khurasan module of the ISIS and was an active member. But, whether he has been indoctrinated or not is a matter of investigation,” Arun said. ALSO READ: ATS guns down IS suspect in Lucknow after 11-hour operation

Anti-terror operations were carried out to get hold of terrorists, suspected to be linked with the Bhopal-Ujjain train blast near Jabdi station in Shajapur district of Madhya Pradesh yesterday in which at least 10 people were injured, three of them seriously.

Speaking to the media after the anti-terror operation was over, Arun said, “Efforts were made to catch the suspected terrorist (identified as Saifullah) alive, but unfortunately this did not materialise. We fired tear gas shells and chilly bombs, so that he comes out. But, he did not come out.”

Here is all you need to know about the Lucknow siege

IPL 2017 auction LIVE: English bowler Tymal Mills goes to RCB for Rs 12 cr

Tymal Mills was in demand as four teams bid for him

( Sony’s ten-year contract for broadcasting IPL matches gets over after the 2017 season )

IPL 2017 : 11: 00 am Tymal  Mills was in demand as four teams bid for him, ultimately going to RCB for Rs 12 crore. A total of Rs 6.9 crore was spent in acquiring fast bowlers while wicketkeepers seemed out of favour as only one out of the batch of six found a buyer, that too at base price

KKR entered the bidding for the first time this season with  Trent Boult. The Knightriders have just four overseas players in the squad currently and need more players from abroad. They were joined in the bid battle by Mumbai Indians who bowed out at KKR’s bid of Rs 5 crore. Boult played for the Hyderabad team in 2016 and this year, will don the KKR jersey.

English bowler Tymal Mills saw some aggressive bidding as well as Mumbai Indians and Kings XI Punjab held their ground against each other. Both the teams did not shy from upping the stakes till Mumbai bowed out at Punjab’s bid of Rs 7 crore. At this point, the bid war between KKR and RCB started. RCB came out a winner with a bid of Rs 12 crore.

Australian Patrick Cummins was fought over by Sunrisers Hyderabad and Delhi Daredevil, the former opening the bid at the reserve price of Rs 2 crore. They however bowed out at Rs 4.5 crore, thus giving Delhi the winning bid and Cummins’ services for the 2017 edition. Fellow autralian Mitchell Johnson was up next (base price Rs 2 crore). Mumbai Indians opened the bid for the fast bowler and snapped him up at reserve price.

South African fast bowler Kyle Abbott (reserve price Rs 1.5 crore) went unsold. Indian fast bowler Ishant Sharma (Rs 2 crore base price) shared the same fate, as he surprisingly remained unsold in the first round of bidding.

After three unsold players in the wicketkeeper category, the Mumbai Indians picked up Nicholas Pooran of West Indies at base price (Rs 30 lakh). The two wicketkeeprs to follow – West Inidan Johnson Charles and Sri Lankan Dinesh Chandimal too remained unsold. Read more.

Isro creates history: PSLV-C37 takes off successfully with 104 satellites

Indian Space Research Organisarion is launching 96 nano satellites of USA

The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro’s) workhorse PSLV-C37 successfully lifted off from the Sriharikota space port near Chennai carrying 104 satellites with it, a first of its kind effort by any space agency in the world.

With the successful launch today, India scripted history by becoming the first country to launch more than 100 satellites in one go. ISRO made its second successful attempt after the launch of 23 satellites together in June 2015.

PSLV-C37, which was on its 39th mission, took off at 9:28 a.m. and it is carrying the 714 kg CARTOSAT-2 series satellite for earth observation, along with 103 co-passenger satellites.

While 96 co-passenger satellites belong to USA, five are from International customers of ISRO — Israel, Kazakhstan, Netherlands, Switzerland and United Arab Emirates. Antrix Corporation Ltd (ANTRIX), the commercial arm of the ISRO, has made arrangements for the nano-satellites belonging to international customers.

Two other Indian nano satellites are also carried by the rocket, and the total weight it would carry is around 1,378 kg. The nano satellites will provide an opportunity for ISRO technology demonstration payloads, provide a standard bus for launch on demand services, said Isro sources.

Cartosat-2