Nine persons, including five children, were killed and a fireman was injured when abroke out at a medical store in a chawl in suburban this morning, police said.
Among the five deceased children was a 3-month-old infant, they said.
The fire occurred early this morning at ‘Wafa’ medical store located on the ground floor of a chawl in Juhi Galli on Wireless Road in Andheri,police spokesman Ashok Dudhe said.
Eight persons were initially killed in the blaze. Later, a seriously injured woman also succumbed to her burns at a hospital, police said.
The families of the victims were staying on the first and second floors of the premises, he said.
According to police and fire brigade officials, the electric wiring and other power installations in the 120 sq ft medical store caught fire. The blaze then spread to other floors of the ground plus two-floor chawl in which nearly 17-18 people were staying.
Prima facie, the police and fire officials suspect that because of a very small internal staircase in the chawl, the victims were trapped inside the premises and got engulfed in the fire.